Q&A #1 - Art Team | Submit your questions before November 9th!

Discussion in 'News' started by gumi Elie, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumi Elie

gumi Elie English Community Manager Staff Member

Questions & Answers #1 | Art Team

This week, we're giving you a chance to ask your questions directly to Florian, Art Director at gumi Europe! You can check out his Developer Blog here: LINK

Submit any questions you have about gumi Europe's Art Team in this thread before November 9th, 10:00 CET! We kindly ask that you stay on topic. We will gather up as many questions as we can and publish Florian's answers during the week of November 9th.

Get thinking, Summoners, and start submitting your questions!

- The Brave Frontier RPG Team​
  2. Soren

Soren [12] Almighty

Friend ID:
    Level:
    220+
    Leader(s):
    Shera (A)
    Darvanshel (A)
    Oulu (A)
    Zelnite (A)
    Elza (A)
    Exvehl (A)
    Ok, I guess I'll have to carry with all the forum's will: Florian... can we see the attack animation of Cornelius? version 1.0? Wink wink.
    Peterpax, BrujoAzul, Minaith and 4 others like this.
  3. Kzar Dragon

Kzar Dragon [11] Grandmaster

Friend ID:
    Level:
    270+
    Leader(s):
    Di tutto e di più, venghino signori :D
    Guess i'll make a question too...
    Were the Valkyries inspired by some other game art? (Looking at you, TerraAlvitr.)
  4. Salty Princess-Chwan

Salty Princess-Chwan [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    Whatever you want peasant.
    Well I have one pretty big question... Will Lovestruck sergio get a 6*?
    And any news about the next Exclusives like for Christmas? Any ideas for Santa 6*???
    Don't really know if the art team is also the music team but since music is art. Are you planning on adding exclusive boss music ? I completely love a good battle/boss theme and would really like to see some EU dungeons that have special music and only when u are in the boss stage from lvl 4 or something. Like in the GGC! To make it feel even more awesome :)
    Also are you planning on doing something with another game/movie like they did with deemo but with another game?
    That's it for now, but i will come back when i get another question :3
  5. Templ ᵒᴥᵒ

Templ ᵒᴥᵒ Plus qu'un gage.

[​IMG]

srsly gimu ?
    Eimilio ᵒᴥᵒ likes this.
  6. Gerrion

Gerrion [9] Master

Friend ID:
    Level:
    ~300
    Leader(s):
    Dream Arthur/Lucy
    Here's my question for the Q&A: Your first 1st Developer Blog (which was a nice, enlightening read, and for that i thank you) stated that you'll focus mostly on European contexts. And that got me thinking on what could be next: the French revolution featuring musical references; Portuguese descoveries with sky pirates/explorers; Roman figures representing various european fruits and vegetables of Europe... the list goes on.

What limits/conditions do you impose upon your art decisions? If suggestions could be given by players and fans, what would you advise us to throw at you? (by the way, i threw a few at you - i hope they help in some way :D)
    Kzar Dragon likes this.
  7. Gholayat

Gholayat Warden Moderator

Friend ID:
    Level:
    370+
    Leader(s):
    Rose Empress Tora
    Fallen Morgana
    Radiant Virtue Fadahl
    Lance Champion Vernil
    Florian, so far all the Exclusive batches have had their own separate universe. Are there any plans for the upcoming batches to tie in with the existing universe? Even if it is just a vague relation or reference to the existing lore?
    zolti, Peterpax, Cubeard and 2 others like this.
  8. Digi

Digi [11] Grandmaster

Friend ID:
    Level:
    +330
    Leader(s):
    Meh
    Thank you very much for doing this. It's a nice gesture towards the comunity, and an important one to be done. Congrats!

First commend and you (almost) spoiled my question. Mine just was going to be "what happened with that animation?" :rolleyes: If you want to put it more elaborated: What creation process lead you to that final animation?

Another question: Have you decided the next theme? :D
    Soren likes this.
  9. Anvenjade

Anvenjade [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    Magena, Cornelius, llewxaM
    Three questions:

Are you considering making a batch that will basically define the meta like the Soul Bound Saga does on Global?

And secondly, in the dev blog:
    To me, this sounds like laziness. The 3D feel of the Bad Lands 6* is very noticeable and makes them feel severely out of place in a squad where everyone else is old school pure 2D sprites. To me, that is a bad way of trying to be "unique".
    I can understand that you have work to deliver in time and this may force you to make such decisions, so here are my questions:
    If given unlimited time, would you still resort to using 3D? Would you agree that if you did, would it be laziness (or actually lack of skill/dedication from your pixel artists) ?

You state it takes a few days to go from concepts to a semi-finished design, then another few days to do the pixel art. There's been more than two months between each batch of shapeshifters, so this makes it sound like you could easily dedicate 4 weeks to do the pixel art in pure 2D instead of less than a week. That's what got me thinking you took the easy way out.

Just please, no more "unique" 3D sprites.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  10. BraveJan

BraveJan [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    180+
    Leader(s):
    Elza Anima SBB10 Imped
    Jade Anima SBB10 Imped
    llewxaM Guardian SBB10 Imped
    Voodoo Child Guardian SBB10 Partly Imped
    I actually liked them :p

My question:
    Are there already existing plans or concepts on a possible 7 star exclusive batch?
    Alccarion and Cubeard like this.
  11. Cubeard

Cubeard [5] Veteran

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    Magena
    Florian, You did not think to give players the opportunity to choose the color combination of the characters?
    For example I got character and choose which of the 2-3 color combinations, he will. It would be very interesting, it has brought diversity and the strong interest of players.
    [​IMG]

I think it would be interesting to choose between several colors from Gasoline.

Second question: In the game there are character's musical instruments . Can we see a musical in the future batch ?
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  12. Alccarion

Alccarion [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    Llewxam, Magena, Zelnite, Gazolina
    Hello ! Well first of all I wanna congratulate you for the awesome work lately (and the super nice improvement in the units art) I really loved the "3d" ish feeling of the Bad Lands units, made them have that "higher quality" feel.

Anyway, Florian :
    First Question : With the direction you went to make the 6 stars look extremely cool/Impressive to match with upcoming 7 stars, how are you planning to do with 7 stars exclusives ? I'm just a tiny bit worried the 7 stars will be too "full", like some already are, where you just don't understand what's going on :P.

Second Question : Some question made me think : Would an event with the ability to win 'alternate arts' exclusive be stupid and a waste of time, or do you like the idea and find interest in it ?

Third Question : I wasn't playing the game yet when the art contest happened (robofrog) and when I saw the winner had his unit ingame I started to dream about it. (I know my way around with a pen/tablet) Is there any chance of such a contest happening again ?

Last Question : Can you tell your entire team I'm really a fan of your teams work ;) ? Just so glad we get amazing peoples like you for EU !!
    Chesire and MarcGPkt like this.
  13. Sucker

Sucker Everlasting Light of Joy

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Florian, will Robofrog get 6* in the future? .... And what about Robofrog 7*?? :D
  14. ARMwrestle

ARMwrestle [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    240+
    Leader(s):
    List coming soon tm
    EDIT for new appropriate question:

How have the steps you take with developing the artwork changed from the first EU exclusive batch to the current Badlands batch?

If at all, at what stage of the development of the Badlands units did you have the most doubts about the direction and for what reasons; What made you toss those ideas/keep them?
  15. Qiadris

Qiadris [10] Legend

Friend ID:
    These are not really questions for an Art Director...
  16. Raydo98

Raydo98 [4] Skilled

You already said that you wanted to stay on an European side for the exclusive units but someday it could change no ?
    So my question is : Would it be possible for Eu Exclu about the egyptians god ? I think they are so good to be transformed as units (Horus, Anubis, Sobek etc.)
  17. Poulpator

Poulpator [12] Almighty

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    Lucy & Bogey, Lid, Rain, Migina, Plumatachi, Blink, Sesir, Jake, Fina, Kanon, Magena, Natalame... Demandez moi !
    Ok I'm French but this thread doesn't exist (yet ?) on the french section, so sorry for possible mistakes...
    1) Did you change Bad Lands' artworks since we found the 4* artworks ? Or maybe those artworks weren't the final artworks when they were revealed, I don't know... I talking about this picture:
    [​IMG]
    Did you listen the community's feedbacks and changed Coal's hair because they looked like Lugina's one ? And did you covered Voodoo's left arm because some disturbed minds could see something else (if you didn't notice it, now you will) (don't juge me, I'm not the only one who noticed it !) ? If the answer is yes, I think it's great that you listened community (and thank you for Pig-Bull's hair, this orange is horrible).

2)Why Svafa's little flying shields are on the pixel unit, but not on the full artwork ? They disappeared since her 5* artwork...

3)Someone already asked but... Why Cornelius ? :confused: Why did you do this animation ? What were you thinking about when you created this creepy hentai dance (I don't really wanna know what he's doing with his tentacles) ? And why did you choose a sharktopus ? Did you pick the creature because of the movie ? (i'm jocking, I love his artwork... but I want answers :p)

4)I think you're not allowed to answer this one but... Which is(are) your favorite artwork(s) ?
    Tell me if you don't understand my questions, some words/sentences ect.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  18. ARMwrestle

ARMwrestle [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    240+
    Leader(s):
    List coming soon tm
    Just read it back.
    Been sick the last few days, forgive me! My brain isn't quite up to speed rofl.
    Edited the post with proper questions.
  19. Raiden

Raiden [9] Master

Are you considering expanding the mirror units batch by mirroring the newest bosses?
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  20. _Lax

_Lax [12] Almighty

Friend ID:
    Leader(s):
    sur demande
    Sorry for potential mistakes (french noob :eek:)
    1) Do you plan designing a classy batch ? (more badass ! :cool:)
    2) Why was sotnarG so poorly designed at mirrors launch ? :D
    3) What about a sci-fi / futurist batch in the future ?
    4) What would you add to vodoo child's art if he gets a 7(*) ? :p
: bfrpg, gumi elie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.