Q&A #1 | Art Team | Read the answers!

Discussion in 'News' started by gumi Elie, Nov 27, 2015.

1. gumi Elie

gumi Elie English Community Manager Staff Member

Questions & Answers #1 | Art Team | Answers!

From October 30th to November 9th, you had a chance to ask your questions directly to Florian, Art Director at gumi Europe!
    We have gathered up many of them and hope you will enjoy reading Florian's answers!

Q. Any news about the next Exclusives, maybe for Christmas? (Dragonxd1234)
    A. Sure, you will have a busy Christmas... The first 7-Stars from us.​

Q. Are you already thinking (or working) on a 6* evolution for Santa? (Dragonxd1234, Davther49 & Ayanami)
    A. Yes, we are. :)​

Q. Were the Valkyries inspired by some other game art? (Kzar Dragon)
    A. Not really, these Units were all based on more classic sources, such as scandinavian medieval pictures.​

Q. Are you considering expanding the Mirror World Units batch by mirroring the newest bosses? (Raiden, Leonhart, eXenifor, Isshin & KobalArtist)
    A. There's no real plan for that at the moment, but it always is a possibility if there's a strong desire from the community.​

Q. Who or what inspired you for Mirror World Unit? (Davther49)
    A. I'm quite of a fan of Star Trek, and for instance there are those episodes called "In a Mirror, Darkly" where the good were the bad and vice versa. Internally, for the art team, this batch is actually called "Dark Mirror".​

Q. Will EU-Exclusive 7-Stars keep close to your European style or be a bit closer to Japanese designs? (KobalArtist)
    A. 7-Stars designs will keep in line with how the Japanese art style evolves, which is what we aim for every time.​

Q. 6-Star EU-Exclusives are as impressive as certain 7-Stars. How will you manage this when creating 7-Star Evolutions? (Alyok, Digi & Alccarion)
    A. We will most likely give them a more adult and experienced look. We can convey a more complete Lore within the art, or add some story telling elements with an Evolution, which you will see in our next series of EU-Exclusives.​

Q. Will other EU-Exclusive Units also be reworked like Jack was? (Heidenherz)
    A. Yes, a lot of our first EU-Exclusive Units now kind of look outdated with the recent evolution of Brave Frontier's art style. Whenever we release their 7-Stars Evolutions, we will also update the previous evolutions simultaneously.​

Q. Why did you revamp Jack? Were you not satisfied with the previous artwork? (Davther49)
    A. The first design for Jack was done at a time where 5-Star Units were dominant. An old school era. I think it did not fit the game anymore. At the time, it was difficult to foresee how the art style would evolve.​

Q. Will the next EU-Exclusive Units also have more effects, like Jack? (Nico Fate)
    A. Of course!​

Q. Will Lovestruck Sergio get a 6-Star? (Dragonxd1234)
    A. Yes, you can look forward to it for the next Valentine's Day!​

Q. I really appreciated the design of the first EU-Exclusive batches, but the last one has disappointed me, especially in 6-Star. I hope I won't hurt anyone, but the idea of "vehicles" isn't really attractive. Will this change? (Vadim)
    A. This particular batch was kind of special so I am sorry that you did not like it. I hope you will enjoy our next one better!​

Q. Did you listen to the community's feedback by changing Coal Cauldron's hair because it looked too much like Lugina's? (Poulpator)
    A. No, it was a Work in Progress artwork that was only intended for internal use and not something we meant to officially show... For Coal Cauldron, we tried many different hairstyles! At one point, he was even bald...​

Q. What was the reasoning behind Cornelius' animation and the weird dance he performs? Is it a reference to the movie Sharktopus? (Poulpator)
    A. This particular attack animation is meant to reference Chun Li's attack in Street Fighter II. It is, at least, how I presented my idea to the pixel artist. :)​

Q. What is your favorite EU-Exclusive Unit so far? What about other Units? (Poulpator, SuperP, Hellkeeper)
    A. Out of all Brave Frontier Units, it would be Zelnite. His retro look reminds me of characters from 70's anime series, while still keeping in line with the latest Units' art style. As for EU-Exclusives, I'd say tuanregguJ 6-Star from the Mirror World batch. I loved working on a Unit with almost only chromatic tints.​

Q. Why did Blink use so much hair gel in 6-Star? It only is my opinion, but I think she was splendid in 4 and 5-Stars and that 6-Star hair ruined it. (Jeyren)
    A. The artist' intention was to convey a feeling of high speed with the wind blowing through Blink's hair.​

Q. Have you decided the next theme and what inspired you? (Digi, KobalArtist, LekiLuck, Cloudiux)
    A. Our next theme is something players have asked for (at least some of them), but with a special twist added to it, of course. ;)​

Q. Are there already existing plans or concepts on a possible 7-Star EU-Exclusive batch? (BraveJan)
    A. The next batch of EU-Exclusive Units will release in 5, 6 and 7-Stars.​

Q. Lately, along with the post apocalyptic theme, the super heroes theme has also been pretty famous (like The Avengers). Do you think we will ever see Unit inspired by such heroes (Hulk, Captain America, Superman, etc...)? (Cloudiux)
    A. Looking at player feedback about the Bad Lands Units, this might not be fitting enough into Brave Frontier's heroic fantasy universe, so I doubt it.​

Q. Could we have a EU-Exclusive batch about the Egyptian gods (Horus, Anubis, Sobek, etc...)? I think they're great choices for Units. (ARMwrestle)
    A. It was planned at one moment. ;) However, there hasn't been any further plans in a long time.​

Q. Any possibilities for a EU-Exclusive batch about the Greek Mythology? (Leonhart, Boris, Nico Fate)
    A. Since Brave Frontier Global has already taken this direction, I don't think we will do it.​

Q. Have you thought about setting a batch at the time of dinosaurs? (Ayanami)
    A. I would love working on a batch like that very much!​

Q. Seriously, when will we get a gumi Elie Unit? (Templ)
    A. Oh I'm working on it, his Evolutions keep on having thicker and thicker eyebrows.​

Q. Did you already work on Units that would only have Evolutions below 4-Stars, like Quest monsters? (Zinouga)
    A. Yes, that was the case with the very first Unit we designed, but it was only a placeholder for tests so you haven't seen it yet. It was kept secret until we could find an interesting way of using it.​

Q. If given unlimited time, would you still resort to using 3D? Would you agree that, if you did, it would be because of laziness or lack of skill/dedication from your pixel artists? (Anvenjade)
    A. The point of using 3D was to give these 6-Star animations more smoothness. It still requires redrawing everything in pixels at the end, so what we did actually took us more time compared to the usual process. I would definitely not call it laziness. :) It was simply a process to give these pixel arts a good perspective.​

Q. How have the steps you take with developing the artwork changed from the first EU-Exclusive batch to the current Bad Lands batch? (ARMwrestle)
    A. What we now do is plan the 3 evolutions for each Unit right from the start, and try to include the lore as the Units evolve.​

Q. Right after you're done with an EU-Exclusive batch, do you already start working on the next theme or do you make a pause and work on other things? (Digi)
    A. I'm working all the time on other stuff. :) Supervising our Facebook pictures for announcements, taking care of interface changes or localization for game assets, etc...​

Q. Are there sometimes moments when have problems advancing with a design of an EU-Exclusive unit? (Hellkeeper)
    A. The final evolutions are always problematic, in a way, because I want them to surprise players.​

Q. How much time usually takes to complete an exclusive batch? (Ayanami)
    A. Exactly 2 months for our Art team of 3 to 4 artists.​

Q. Do you draw everything on the computer, or do you start by hand? (Nico Fate)
    A. It depends on the artist. I personally prefer to start on paper.​

Q. After the sketches, do you complete the final Unit with multiple layers or do you try to add different parts (like a puzzle) to see which one it makes it better? (Deshowned)
    A. It depends on the Units! I did a lot of "puzzle" work for the Half-Goddesses, not a lot for the Mirror World, not at all for Shapeshifters and then I did it again for the Bad Lands. :)​

Q. Do you also take care of the story surrounding the theme? (Nico Fate)
    A. No, this is the role of Game Designers. However, I do give my opinion based on the concept behind the art direction and the inspiration of a character.​

Q. If you had to make two 7* Units from previous EU-Exclusive batch, which ones would you like to do?And what are the ones that you're fearful of not being able to get right? (BrujoAzul)
    A. What follows is only my personal opinion, not our actual plan and priority for 7-Star Evolutions.
    Half-Goddesses:
    Eir , because i know exactly where I want to go with the 7 star design.
    Geirdriful because I loved working on her 6-Star art.​
    Mirror World:
    arbeZ because he's an easy character to draw.
    sotnarG because I enjoy drawing muscles, which does not happen a lot in Brave Frontier.​
    It would be Jade and Heinrich for Shapeshifters, and Blink and Gazolina for Bad Lands.
    As for my fears... eturdreV because of the complexity of his design, and most of the Bad Lands because of our current ideas for 7-Stars. ^^​

Q. How do you feel about "throwing" desings away? As you mentioned in the Blog, your team designs many more units than just 6.
    (Jagaya)
    A. Quite good, actually, because it means we have taken the time to examine many options and have figured out the direction we want to take.​

Q. What is more interesting for you, the creation of a new unit from scratch or thinking about the upcoming evolutions with the base already created? (SuperP)
    A. The first concept is always the best part since everything seems possible at that time. It gives a great sensation of freedom.​

Q. Why did you choose the BadLands to be heavily based on Mad Max? Arent there any beter post-apo themed movies? (SuperP)
    A. The fact is that Bad Lands are also based a lot on Waterworld, Otoku no ken, Terminator, etc...​

Q. How did you become an Art Director and what is the most fun part about your job? (TheAlphaOmega)
    A. I used to work on some pixel art games in my room 15 years ago when I was a Graphics Designer student. Thanks to that, I found a job at a studio working on games for GameBoy Advance. The most fun part? When I start something new or try to work on an art style that is different from mine. Brave Frontier is kind of good for that.​

Q. Could you tell us some stories about funny/discarded drawings/ideas, or unforeseen difficulties? (Hellkeeper)
    A. While we were creating Shapeshifter animations, one designer did not understand that the concept behind the creatures was that the Units transformed into them, and, uh... he made an attack animation where the character threw the creature on his enemies... the beginning of a Shark Launcher batch...​

Q. Do you read our suggestions? Especially those about EU-Exclusive Trials or batches. If yes, do you use them as inspiration (for instance, I found similarities with one of my suggestions and Coal Cauldron's design)? (KobalArtist)
    A. We read almost everything, but I don't know for Coal Cauldron. :)​

Q. Have you worked on something else than Brave Frontier? (Poulpator)
    A. In 14 years of career, yeah of course, a lot. :)​

Q. Do you play Brave Frontier and know about the game/lore/gameplay mechanics or do you only design the Units? (Poulpator)
    A. Yeah, I play it a lot and even started a new run 2 months ago. ^^ I am around level 116.​

Q. Do you know in advance what gameplay role a certain Unit will have? For instance, when designing Eir, did you have in mind that she would be a healer? (Poulpator)
    A. Both possibilities can happen. For Eir, I did know in advance.​

Q. Do you plan on doing new Splash arts for the current units as Brave Frontier JP did? (Digi)
    A. That is not planned for the moment.​

Q. I wasn't playing the game yet when the Art Contest to get a Unit into the game happened (RoboFrog). Is there any chance of such a contest happening again? (Alccarion, Sheed, Templ, Isshin)
    A. I would definitely love that​

Q. Can a player suggest a design of a unit or any other idea about the game? (Килуа)
    A. Suggestions are always possible, but it's obviously better if official contests are launched for such things.​

Q. Have you thought about asking the players about what theme they would like, by voting for example? (Nico Fate, Slays)
    A. I love listening to the community, but at the moment our job is to entertain and surprise you. The best solution is something in between. We definitely hear you all so we can define a theme you will enjoy.​

Q. Why do the units generally have no mouth and nose? (.Tuc)
    A. You can find all your answer in this interview. :) http://www.pocketgamer.biz/asia/feature/60289/the-making-of-brave-frontier/
    That's it for our very first Questions & Answers session! We hope you've enjoyed reading Florian's answers! Let us know what you liked about Q&As and what you'd like to see in the future!
    Cheers!
    - The Brave Frontier RPG Team​
  2. Ziazis

Ziazis [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    >240
    Leader(s):
    any useful one
    I loved that joke about Elies Unit ;)
    Btw. It should also have a moustache :D
    Enerdy, Gogeta and JuliusJuha like this.
  3. BraveJan

BraveJan [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    180+
    Leader(s):
    Elza Anima SBB10 Imped
    Jade Anima SBB10 Imped
    llewxaM Guardian SBB10 Imped
    Voodoo Child Guardian SBB10 Partly Imped
    Awesome Q&A :D Was quite a good read ^^
  4. JuliusJuha

JuliusJuha [7] Hero

Friend ID:
    Level:
    325+
    ahahaha I love this. Nice to see behind the scenes, and love the passion. Great work, keep it up!
  5. Anvenjade

Anvenjade [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    Magena, Cornelius, llewxaM
    Yay, they answered my question!

Hype for Eir's 7*. I'm happy.
  6. Digi

Digi [11] Grandmaster

Friend ID:
    Level:
    +330
    Leader(s):
    Meh
    I always enjoy reading stuff like that about games I love!

Looking forward for our new exclusive 7*!

PD: I'm Spanish and I find easier to read the English version of this Q&A. I want a Q&A with the people in charge of the translations :/
  7. Raydo98

Raydo98 [4] Skilled

They've answered my question but put the name of another player xD

Anyway, it's really interesting seeing the answer to all these questions ! Keep up the good work Gumi !
  8. Gholayat

Gholayat Warden Moderator

Friend ID:
    Level:
    370+
    Leader(s):
    Rose Empress Tora
    Fallen Morgana
    Radiant Virtue Fadahl
    Lance Champion Vernil
    At least they answered yours ;) They didnt answer mine and I had 5 likes!
  9. Sucker

Sucker Everlasting Light of Joy

Friend ID:
    Level:
    I didn't get an answer on my questions as well :(
  10. Persecutor

Persecutor Troll Unchained

Sucker likes this.
  11. ubn2013

ubn2013 [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    Lead: Arthur (Anima), Heinrich (Breaker), Plumatachi (Breaker), Krantz (Anima) and Leo (anima)
    Just imagine EU-exclusives with a mythical beast theme. Stuff like hydra's, phoenix, dragon's, Cerberus, etc.
    Or angels, devils, fairy's, witches, demon's.
    Or a theme with krampus and santa.
    That would be the most awesome thing!!!!!
  12. Gholayat

Friend ID:
    Level:
    370+
    Leader(s):
    Rose Empress Tora
    Fallen Morgana
    Radiant Virtue Fadahl
    Lance Champion Vernil
    Krampus = Grinch, and we had a Grinch event last year which eventually lead up to Lucy & Big Bogey becoming a unit :)
  13. Laxus

Laxus [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    250+
    Leader(s):
    llewxaM (A) SBB10
    Maxwell (L) SBB10
    Darvanshel (A) SBB10
    Cornelius (L) SBB10
    Krampus and the grinch are not exactly the same figure, that's like saying that Saint Nicholas is the same as Santa Claus, of course as it was Dutch settlers who mixed up the story after moving to the US I can't blame you for your confusion. :p

(Just messing with ya @Gholayat )
  14. ubn2013

ubn2013 [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    Lead: Arthur (Anima), Heinrich (Breaker), Plumatachi (Breaker), Krantz (Anima) and Leo (anima)
    Ow ok, i get it. i didn't know. I've bin playing this game for like 3/4 of a year or something. Still awesome that you took the time to read my thoughts :D
    Gholayat likes this.
  15. gengar

gengar [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    feeva
    When can we elvolve lovestruck sergio?
  16. Soft

Soft [10] Legend

Friend ID:
    Level:
    69?
    Leader(s):
    [B] Llewxam
    [G] Magena
    [A] Santa - farm, deal with it!
    i dare say.... next valentine's!!!
  17. Gholayat

Friend ID:
    Level:
    370+
    Leader(s):
    Rose Empress Tora
    Fallen Morgana
    Radiant Virtue Fadahl
    Lance Champion Vernil
    Unfortunately thats true :( So useless! There is already Tazer, why would we ever use Sergio that late...
  18. gengar

gengar [8] Elite

Friend ID:
    Level:
    Leader(s):
    feeva
    Someone know if we got robofrog dungeon back?
  19. Sucker

Sucker Everlasting Light of Joy

Friend ID:
    Level:
    @gumi Elie Sorry for reviving this old post, but since I can't reply on the 2nd Q&A thread I will post it here instead. Then 2nd Q&A thread was closed 26th of January, we are now in May. How soon will we get the answers on the 2nd thread so that we can go on with the 3rd Q&A ?

And I am not looking for this answer after more than 3 months :tonguewink:
    Soon!TM
    Triplehelix and Jamaka2001 like this.
  20. gumi Elie

gumi Elie English Community Manager Staff Member

It's not really about going on with a 3rd, 4th etc... Q&As, it's more about schedule incompatibilities that made this initiative fall flat back then. But fear not, I've been working behind the scenes for months not on one particular thing but on our entire communication platform, rebuilding it to set a proper standard instead of adding more rooms to a broken wooden shed. We'll work it out and eventually deliver greatness.

Until then, sorry for the wait!
    Sucker likes this.
: bfrpg, gumi elie